Friday, July 8, 2011

Writing Chops

My writing chops are a little dry. They're not the nice, succulent chops that have been lovingly braised and tended, resulting in a juicy chop you would like to sink your teeth into. No. My writing chops were thrown in the oven with no basting liquid, abandoned really, with a hope they would turn out moist and tasty. They are dry, tasteless, hard-to-cut chops. It's best to not even try to serve these chops, at least for today, so I'll turn to other people's writings. We'll savor these roasts, briskets, just-right burgers, medium-rare filets that have brought enjoyment to my life while I try to turn my chops into something you'd actually like to devour. Hopefully it will be a prime cut!

I just finished reading Alison Arngrim's Tales of a Prairie Bitch. Wow! Even if you did not grow up with Little House on the Prairie, you will love this book. Alison played Nellie Oleson on the show, and Nellie gave her permission, somewhat, to find her inner bitch. I'm so grateful Alison found her voice; she makes a positive difference in the world, and we're all better for it. My review does not do this book credit. She's funny, irreverent, real, and grounded. And funny. Read this book.

I just started No Biking in the House Without A Helmet by Melissa Fay Greene. This is shaping up to be a good one. Melissa and her husband have four biological children, and not wanting to deal with the "empty nest" have adopted five more over the years. They just like having young life around. This is a great book for anyone considering adoption. It's the book I wish I could write. It won't sway people away from adoption (well, it might, but that's not the intention), but it will help folks go in with open eyes. She's funny, grounded, real, and irreverent. Hmmm....I'm sensing a theme here.

These books are "prime" cut beef, and I'm stuck at "select" right now, but if I feed and water my cow, and pet her daily, maybe I can end up with a "choice" offering. You do pet cows, right?

No comments: